Thursday 10 April 2014

Kondana Caves

This was the start to our facination towards Buddhist Caves and now I realise we are branded as someone who goes behind places of Historic importance and what connects us to our ancestors :P ( i have a bad habit of extrapolation :) )

This was one of initial trips that I had planned with AM. After our trip to Swiss which was AM's planning. I wanted to show off my planning skills but time hasnt come till then. Friday night AM was sulking how he has not been anywhere last weekend and should plan this weekend. We had considered Matheran, Kasara Ghat and Karjat. Well Karjat won :) I had not heard about this place but got inspired by the website after googling. http://www.greenkarjat.com/2008/07/kondana-caves-near-karjat.html and some wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kondana_Caves and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karjat

The picture just enticed both of us. The planning was happening at 11 or 12 at night. Still we were excited to go in the early morning. We took local from Ghatkopar to Karjat ( i had confused AM saying he needs to buy tickets to Kasara and we travelled with tickets to wrong destination) We reached Karjat and had breakfast in one of ancient hotels which you will find when you cross the market outside the station. We walked still further and we reached the auto stand where we took share auto for 30/- to Kondane village.

It was almost 11 am when we reached the base of Kondane village from which we started to walk. It took us more than one and half to 2 hours to reach the top. There was still water flowing into small streams and waterfalls. I could hear a waterfall with good flow but never was able to see it. You will feel you are treading an unknown path but keep walking in the place the shrubs are not there. You will come to an open flat ground and keep going. Well thumb rule here is all paths lead to top of the hill.

We did meet few guys who were running towards the top in hurried manner. They were part of group and were trying to reach the other who were rappaling in the top. I had asked the name of the organizers but was not very well known to me. I think even Trekmates arrange treks and rappling at kondana caves.

I have this pychological feeling where if I cant see my destination, I am little apprehensive whether we are going the right way or not. But once I saw the top from a distance I hastened my pace and AM had to ask me to slow down. It was little slippery and you need to be careful esp as you need to cross steam twice or thrice.

It was icing on top when we saw a water fall along the cave. Not only we get to see the beautiful caves that have stood the years also the force of water :) There is no place to change for women but if there is some help to cover in corner it can be done. We spend about an hour there and headed back. A huge group of children were coming. Many of them were ill equipped to trek. May be they were not told in advance about shoes and water etc. Still the teachers were getting tired and not the kids :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment